Sunday, September 09, 2012

Madeleines


Madeleine's. Ever since watching Rachel Khoo's cooking show I have wanted to bake them, and have at last got round to it. I have used her recipe however, I missed out the section on making my own lemon curd but feel free to make your own.
I am pleased to say it went well!

Ingredients:

3 eggs
130g caster sugar
200g plain flour
10g baking powder
20g honey
Zest of one lemon
60ml milk
200g melted and cooled butter
A small pack of raspberries
150g lemon curd

Equipment:

Madeleine tin
Piping bag

Makes 24

Firstly, beat the eggs and sugar together until it turns pale.



In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder and lemon zest.


Then stir the honey and milk with the melted butter in another bowl, and pour into the egg. Give it a gentle mix till combined:


Next, fold the dry ingredients into the wet in two batches. It should like like this when done:


Cover the mixture and leave in the fridge for either a few hours or overnight. I used the batter after three hours which was long enough for it to firm up. I also did a smaller batch the following day to see if there was a difference and to be honest, I did not find one.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 190°C. Then prepare your tin by coating a thin layer of butter and dust with flour.
Next, put a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into each shell and then push a raspberry into the batter. The batter does expand a lot so do not over fill.


Put in the oven for 5 minutes and then turn the oven off for one minute. Then, turn the oven back on to 160°C and bake again for 5 minutes. Once done, take out and transfer to a cooling rack.


When cool enough to handle pipe the lemon curd into the raspberry. Once finished dust with a little icing sugar and serve straight away.


Mr P and I really enjoyed these with a cup of tea. I found the recipe not too complicated and the result a delicate little sponge. They taste far better while still a little warm.

2 comments:

HB said...

Ah, these are the Madeleine's of my dreams. They look beautiful! Wel done for making them, I shall have to give them a go soon.

Lovely blog btw, concisely written and very informative.

Mrs P said...

Thank you very much! I enjoy doing it. The Madeleine's are lovely but definitely eat them asap. A good excuse to stuff ones face.

 
;