Sunday, September 16, 2012

Apple and Honey Cake


It is Rosh Hashanah in my world, or more precisely the Jewish world at the moment, which is the Jewish new year. It is customary to eat apple dipped in honey to symbolise a sweet new year so, in the spirit of apples, honey, and generally wanting to eat cake, I made an apple and honey cake.
I slightly changed an american recipe I found on the internet and it uses the cup as a measurement.

Ingredients:

3 cups plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup honey
3 cups chopped apple, I used golden delicious
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 medium eggs
2 tsp cane sugar/brown sugar (which ever you have to hand for sprinkling)

Equipment:

8 inch cake tin (with high sides)
Food mixer/electric whisk/wooden spoon

First preheat your oven to 175°C/gas mark 4 and then prepare your cake tin by lining it. I used a silicon paper base and then lightly coated the sides in veg oil. Your tin should have highish sides because the baking soda makes it rise high in comparison to what you pour in the tin.

Next, put the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder into a large bowl and set aside.


Then into your food mixer or another bowl, put the sugar, honey, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.


Mix it gently for 30 seconds or so to allow the ingredients to combine. Then put one egg in at a time, and mix fully between each addition.


Pour the wet batter into the dry, gently mix and when done, fold in the chopped apple.


You can now pour the batter into the cake tin and sprinkle with the cane sugar.
Put the tin in the oven on the middle shelf for approximately an hour, mine took just over this time. When a cocktail stick comes out clean it is ready.
Once baked, leave on the side for 5 minutes to cool a little and then remove from the tin onto a cooling rack.

I found this cake to be really moist and scrumptious. It is a comforting sweet bit of goodness which is easy to make.

So, Happy New Year with a bit of cake. Or as I should say, Shanah Tovah!



3 comments:

jelsie said...

I made this cake last night and my family loved it. But on rereading the ingredients I see that I left out the vege oil and you've left out when to add it in your instructions.

Mrs P said...

Indeed you are right, thank you for pointing that out, I have updated the post. The veg oil should go in the same time as the honey.
Glad you enjoyed the cake even without one of the ingredients!

jelsie said...

The cake turned out beautifully and it disappeared in no time. I'll be making it again (with the oil).

 
;