Sunday, March 11, 2012

Viennese Whirls


This is my twentieth post already, gosh the excitement in the air. What shall I baked today?

Taking inspiration from Sister-in-Law P (No.1) I tried Viennese Whirls. I love these biscuits and my one and only attempt a long while ago was er....how should I say, not good in the slightest. But you only learn by failing so here is my second attempt and I am pleased to say, they did not end up in the bin.
I am thinking about improving my biscuit baking in particular at the moment so you should expect to see them on my blog for a bit. You shall still see other creations of course but, biscuits may be the thing for a little while.

Right then, here we go!

Ingredients:

Biscuit

250g soft butter
50g icing sugar with a little more to decorate
250g plain flour
50g cornflour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Filling:

Jam, any flavour you like, I chose apricot.

Equipment:

Piping bag
Star attachment
Baking sheet
Electric whisk

Makes about 20/25 whirls depending on size.


Firstly preheat your oven to gas mark 5 and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.

Put the butter, flour, sugar, cornflour and vanilla extract into a large bowl and mix until fully blended. You can use a standalone mixer if you have one. I wish I did.



Put the mixture into your piping bag and while applying even pressure on the bag, pipe out your whirls. You can do any pattern you like but I did the traditional whirl. Do make sure you give them plenty of space between each other.


Once done pop in the centre of the oven for 10-12 minutes or until they go golden and firm. Let them cool on the baking tray for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Continue this until you have finished using all of your dough.


When they are cool start spooning jam onto one side and stick another whirl on so you have a jam sandwich.


Sprinkle a little icing sugar on top and there you go, a delightful treat.

0 comments:

 
;