Monday, May 07, 2012

Raspberry and Lemon Curd Fairy Cakes


I wanted to make some Madeleines à la crème au citron from Rachel Khoo's new cook book, but I did not have the time as you have to leave the batter for a few hours. Instead, I just used a fairy cake recipe which seemed to work well. Next time however, I shall try it with her version. I also did not make the lemon curd but it is something I want to try to do. Just buy a decent one fron the supermarket if you have not got the time either.

Ingredients:

200g softened butter
200g caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
4 medium eggs
2 level teaspoons baking powder
Small pack of raspberries
150g Lemon curd
Lemon zest from one lemon.

Equipment:

Muffin tin
Electric whisk
Foil cases
Piping bag

Makes 12 in muffin cases, 24 in fairy cake cases. (I only had the muffin sized ones)

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 and prepare your muffin tin with the cases.
Next, put all your ingredients (not the lemon curd or raspberries) into a large bowl. Sieve the flour as it goes in and if like myself, you forget to take the butter out of the fridge a few hours before, whack it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften.


Beat the ingredients in the bowl till it becomes smooth and well combined. About 2-3 minutes.


Now, evenly distribute the batter into the cases and place two raspberries into the centre. (If using the fairy cake cases which are smaller, use one raspberry).


Pop in the oven for 14-17 minutes. They should be a nice golden brown when done and to double check, poke a cocktail stick in the centre. If it comes out clean it is done.
Place the cakes on the side for them to cool a little. After a few minutes, cut a thin slit with a knife in the middle, push it about two thirds down. Next, put your lemon curd into the piping bag and gently squeeeeeeeeze while lifting sloooooowly till the curd pops out the top.
When done, finish with a magic sprinkle of icing sugar.


That is it! They came out light and delicate which I was rather chuffed with as I still need to perfect my sponge skills. Hurrah!
Ideally eat while still warm with a cup of tea in front of the television à la Mr P.

0 comments:

 
;