Saturday, January 28, 2012

Italian Kitchen, New Oxford Street, London


So, it was time to meet up with some of my friends and we decided to go to Italian Kitchen. Overall I enjoyed myself but that was mainly down to the fact I was having a good old chin wag with my gal pals. Yes, I did just say gal pals. The food was ok. It wasn't offensive really but was it any better than maybe going to a pizza express? I do not think so.

We got there and were given a table that was snug but nice enough. I did notice the music was rather loud but that could just be me being an old moaning fuddy duddy. The waitress we had seemed nice enough but she did seem confused quite a lot, possibly because of the language barrier. When I asked for chilli oil I think she just assumed I said something else and it never turned up. I asked another waiter and I kid you not, he danced his way towards me in a cheesy serenading way. I asked for the chilli oil and I got it but he was just plain odd. I think the staff were just bored as it wasn't that busy. It was a Thurday night.

We ordered some olives and two starters, Insalata Caprese - Buffalo mozzarella, tomato and basil and Bruschetta al Pomodoro - Grilled bread with garlic, tomatoes and fresh basil to share between the four of us. The olives I have to say were gorgeous. Giant fresh good quality olives. I liked these a lot! I also really enjoyed the mozzarella salad. I love buffalo mozzarella. I just think its flipping great and you cannot go wrong when putting it with tomato and basil, it was really well seasoned. After this I feel the rest of the food was nothing more than ok. The bruschetta was piled high with tomatoes but did not really taste of much. It tasted like toasted brown bread which is fine if that's what your expecting. It just didnt seem to taste quite right to me.




Main course and I was boring and went for a Margarita. I had been thinking about pizza all day long and just wanted a nice cheesy pizza. It was alright sure but anything special no. It did the job. I had the chilli oil with the pizza and it was not really oil, more chopped chilli in a ramekin. Had the oil run out leaving just the chilli at the bottom? Was this what they call chilli oil? It had spice and that was fine but it was not chilli oil!


My friends had:
Salmon with brocolli and mashed potato:


Steak with mash and a rocket salad:


And the last one the photo did not come out but was Spaghetti with clams, mussels, calamari, shrimp, tomato and chilli. Everyone seemed happy enough with their mains.

We did not have dessert and am not really too bothered as I don't think they would have been all that wonderful. Of course this is a guess but it is how I felt with the food.

Would I go back, probably not no. One of my friends had a Taste of London card which meant it was half price so we paid £12.50. Had we paid full price I would have been a bit miffed as I feel like I could have had much better for the same price.

Food 5/10
Ambience 6/10
Service 5/10
Overall 5/10

0 comments:

 
;